Sidestreets and siestas

Monday, September 7, 2009

Buenos tardes!

Seville (Sevilla), Spain was a great town. I stayed there 3 nights (August 24-27), which I kind of think could have fit into 2 nights, but did enjoy being able to spend some time being lazy.

My train didn´t arrive in town until 10 or 11 pm, then finding the hostel was a challenge (as usual), this time due to construction on the square, which meant my bus didn´t stop at the usual spot. The bus driver was so kind as to get out and point me in the right direction and assure me that it was a safe area. I think it was the first time that I wasn´t stressed about being lost or being in a new area, which may have been due to it being such a beautiful night - perfect temperature and clear skies.

After finally finding the hostel, I set my things down and headed down to the lounge to check out the scene. The other folks at the hostel were very sociable and friendly - in no time I was listening to the Germans sing their drinking songs and sampling absinthe. Good times.

The bridge was full of these padlocks with names and dates scribbled on them. I figure it's the alternative to the romantic scribble on the bathroom stall.

The next day I spent wandering the narrow lanes of Seville. Many of the ¨streets¨are barely big enough for a car to pass through with the side mirrors folded in, and others are only as wide as a sidewalk. Getting lost is the best way to see the city, in my opinion. Also visited the cathedral, which I think they said is the 3rd biggest in Europe (?) and Giralda, or tower. I watched a show on the Travel Channel about Sevilla and Samantha Brown said that the way to the top is sloped instead of stairs so that the horses could get to the top. Not sure why that would have been necessary, but I swear it smelled like horses in the walkways.

Flamenco dress store. I wanted to try one on!

The second night, I joined the tapas tour with the hostel I stayed. The tapas weren´t exceptional, but it was great to go out with other travelers again and have a good time. My first experience with flamenco was interesting, but not awesome. The dancer was a bit manly and almost scary, and wasn´t wearing the bright colorful dress I expected. Loved the music though. Even though she was not the most appealing, the dance is so passionate - almost angry - that it is still a beautiful thing.

A bit scary, eh?

My last day I spent wandering the Plaza de España and Jardins de Santa Maria, which are absolutely massive. I think I read that part of Star Wars was filmed at the Plaza de España. Will check on that. Had lunch and listened to some folk metal music with a fellow traveler.

Pretty fantastic tree in the Jardins del Santa Maria

Anyways, on to Granada now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment