Last stop in Spain: Madrid

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

By this point, Im getting better at locating my hostel when I first arrive in a city. Or maybe I just pay more attention to directions when I check availability. Either way, a pat on the back for me!
Madrid. Another place that, after looking at the guidebook, I didnt expect heavy or super-exciting sightseeing. Wandered around the Prado Museum to check out some art and chilled by the lake at the Parque del Buen Retiro and watched the paddleboats and such. But it was fun.

Mickey, is that you?

I do have to mention the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) because it had the most awesome armory. All these weapons and metal suits of armor, even for horses and little kids. The main room had them actually on statues, which was super creepy. I felt like I was in the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and they were all about to come to live and start marching around. Maybe I have seen one too many living statue street performers. Nevertheless, very cool.

My second day there, I met Will, a fellow American, during a fire drill at the hostel and we made plans to get drinks and have a laid-back Madrid evening. Little did we know what Madrid had in store for us. We started out at a small outdoor cafe/bar/restaurant and had some tasty olives and local wine. From there, we hit a hookah bar before stumbling upon the Plaza Mayor, which was filled with people hanging out, musicians, and restaurants. My guidebook said in the past is has been the scene for parades, markets, and even some executions during the Inquisition. So we had another drink and some delicious flan (nothing like Mexican restaurants at home). We topped the evening off by taking a walk through Chueca, the gay neighborhood, and stopping in (or so we thought) at a tiny club, just to see. What a crazy fun night in Madrid! It was the icing on the cake for my time in Spain.


What a crazy unexpected night in Madrid!

One of the events at the top of my "Must do" list was a bullfight. Now, I grew up on a farm and dont mind blood or a little bit of cruelty every now and then, but this was pushing the limits. I never realized it would be quite so brutal! Here is what I saw (pardon my lack of actual knowledge on the subject, I have to admit I didnt do my research on the technicalities before I went): The first guy comes out on his horse and stabs the bull with a metal tip on the end of a wooden spear. Part 2 is the bandilleros, who jab colored sticks into his back (these usually stay on). This whole time, the amateur bullfighters are teasing the bull with their yellow and pink capes, tiring him and leading him as they wish. By this point, the bull is showing a good bit of blood. The finale is the matador, who puts on a real show of pride and gusto as he parades the bull past his bright red cape, brushing right up against it sometimes. Then he gets his spear, points it straight at the bull, and JABS IT THROUGH THE HEART! No kidding. Then the bull stumbles around a bit before he falls down. Sometimes they have to come put him out of his misery still.


So that is a bullfight. As un-American and brutal as I can imagine a spectator sport to be. I wish I had a Spanish friend to watch it with so I could understand better, because its difficult to appreciate it entirely without any insight. I did like the matadors, with their proud stance, like they were showing the bull who's who. Plus it didn't hurt that they were cute young guys.
More than I bargained for? Perhaps. But an experience, for sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment