Amsterdam

Tuesday, August 18, 2009


As you first step off the train in Amsterdam, a breeze of marajuana hits you in the face. When I was leaving, I decided it's because everyone tries to get one more joint in right before they board the train out.

I have a habit of getting lost as soon as I step out of the train station in a new city. This time, my misdirection wandered me straight into the heart of the Red Light District. I didn't realize it at first, either. Once I did, I just looked straight ahead and kept walking. It felt awkward or something, which may have been partly because I was carrying my heavy pack and frazzled with trying to get around a new place and not knowing if/where I would get a hostel for sure. But I struggled on.

The hostel I stayed in was in a much more tranquil area, right on the canal Leidesgracht. Minimal and very steep stairs, but beautiful area and lovely views. I've rarely heard English spoken on the streets, but it's not problem when I shrug my shoulders and say, "English??" for locals to switch languages. I don't think I met anyone who couldn't communicate in English, at least enough to get the job done.

After some sightseeing on Friday - Van Gogh museum, street market where locals go, Beginhof, Anne Frank House - and more wandering the streets, I've decided that Amsterdam has a feel to it that I can really get behind. Outside of the Red Light area, where young guys are everywhere looking for a cheap thrill, the city is quaint. The atmosphere and people are very unassuming and open. Bikes outnumber cars, and every other street has a canal running through it. The houses are tall with huge windows that are almost never curtained. Doors are very narrow, which was a way to get around taxes. Houses have a hook on the top of the buttress (is that the term?) so they could pull their furniture up and through the windows because the doors are often too small. Fun Fact.


People here soak up the weather in outside tables at bars and restaurants. Windows and houseboats are full of colorful flowers and plants.


Yep, I found my side of Amsterdam.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you're soaking up a lot. Take some notes. I'm looking forward to hearing some stories.

My sister is crazy.

Post a Comment