Best week ever

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Paris.

I had to begin by admitting that I didn´t expect a ton out of Paris. I thought it would be big and intimidating, with rude French people, expensive food, stuffy museums and a inpenatrable language barrier. Boy was I wrong. Looking back, I am starting to worry that I peaked in Paris and everything now is less impressive because I think, ¨Well, when I was in Paris...¨ That´s right, I get that dreamy tone in my voice and that faraway look, imagining I´m back by the River Seine with a bottle of wine listening to a nearby guitar and people watching just down from Notre Dame. It was a dream.

Willow trees by the river...Paris knows my weaknesses.

I arrived at the hostel, thankful to be out of the blazing August sun because I (of course) went the completely wrong direction coming out of the Metro and walked several blocks before realizing my mistake. Checking in, I was kindly informed that it was the worst day of the year to be in Paris for 2 reasons: it was August 15, a bank holiday, so everything was closed, and it was smack in the middle of August so it was the hottest of weather and everyone in Paris goes on vacation in August and closes the stores. Ugh. But that was the last of my worries with the city. Once I set my things down and rested a bit, I went out to check out the city.


One of my favorite things was the River Seine. In the summer, the walkways along the river turn into a beach scene - free games, ice cream shops, beach chairs with umbrellas, hammocks under the trees, dancing. They even bring in a swimming pool and set it up. All free for anyone. I hung out here most nights, sometimes with a bottle of wine or picnic dinner, watching everyone else enjoying the same. It is just what you do in Paris. The first night there I also stumbled upon a free rock concert in the plaza in front of Hotel deVille.

As for the people being rude and unfriendly, I had none of that experience. Maybe this was partly due to the fact that I was the seemingly lonely girl by the river, but any time I sat down, I had a new French friend (English-speaking or not) in no time. Granted, they were usually guys, but they werent creepy or overbearing - just friendly. One guy even ran off and found a corkscrew so that I could get into my wine bottle. Minimal English necessary.

Wine, beer and food was delicious. I ate lots of yummy sandwiches. Going to the grocery store was a bit of a challenge, but worth it for cheap food and a great experience.

My grocery store dinner one night by the river. Pasta salad with salmon and merlot. Yum.

The street performers in Paris are the best. Many have their own CDs for sale right there. There was a mini-orchestra of students that I ran into a few times over a couple of different days that was really good. Heard some good ol Southern music on one of the bridges one night. Even saw a guy trucking around a mobile piano.


I found my favorite bookstore in the world in Paris. Shakespeare & Company. All English books, but it is crammed in this maze of shelves and seats in a long narrow store hidden across from Notre Dame. It reminded me a lot of Rhino Booksellers in Green Hills, except more old-timey and a welcoming island of English in an ocean of French. For a long time, they have let struggling writers stay in the room upstairs for a while when they cant manage. Its somewhat famous. I was reading a book just the other day that mentioned it, which excited me way more than was really necessary.

One of the most noticable things in Paris is, naturally, romance. There are couples everywhere - sitting on benches, walking down the Champs-Elysees, riding in a boat down toward the Eiffel Tower - always holding hands and smooching. The city is just so captivating, it is difficult not to fall under its romantic spell.

Cute couple blocking my view = super cute picture

Luckily, I met a French Ambassador of my very own to show me the local (as well as the romantic) side of the City of Lights. We had an amazing time hanging out under the sparkling Eiffel Tower before a midnight bike tour of the city. We rode past all the major sights - the Louvre, Champs-Elysees, Opera house, Moulin Rouge - and I got to hear stories about places where he made memories growing up as well! (Did I mention that this ride was over 2 hours long, hills and all? I was quite proud of myself for making it the whole way.) I felt like I was in a movie, riding around the historic streets in the crisp evening with my scarf blowing behind me. Cant imagine a better way to spend an evening.

Our rendevous under the Eiffel Tower

I could go on about Paris forever, but there is so much to catch everyone up on! Anyways, I am sure you will hear much more about it when I get home, since I cant quit talking about it. It was just perfect.


0 comments:

Post a Comment